25 Apr 2013

Architectural and Interiors Photography: Stockton, Middlesbrough, Durham & Redcar.


My work as a North East Commercial Photographer often involves photographing some of the region’s beautiful architecture, which can be anything from Eaglescliffe’s Preston Park to modern structures such as Stockton’s Infinity Bridge.

For me to take pictures without people in them is rare, but I love the challenge of using a building’s clean lines and surface textures to bring it to life. 

There can be a lot of waiting around though. For instance when I photographed four of Teesside’s  bridges for some boardroom art I had to make several trips to the sites, patiently waiting for the golden hours of dawn and dusk to get just the right light.
If a building is fully lit for the shoot it’s ideal, but sometimes the client’s needs dictate what time I can do the job and I have to work with what I’ve got, and put more time in back at the studio to apply a different finish or adjust colours.

I use a series of lenses, including concave to give an illusion of curves where none exist, depending on what the client wants the pictures for.  Most architects like to see the lines of their buildings clearly though, and I can spend hours in my Stockton studio making sure parallel and other lines are straight and true. 

When I use my cameras to tell a story of interiors, for instance for housing associations or new builds, it’s amazing what can be achieved with the judicious use of props and lighting, such as when I’m trying to make a well-used kitchen look brand new. 



I loved my recent commission to photograph the environmentally-friendly buildings that form part of Durham University’s Gateway project. I’ve admired the new buildings since construction started, and the Western red cedar clad exteriors gave me some strong colours and contrasts to work with.

Many of my recent commissions have been refurbishments rather than new builds.  For instance on Newcastle’s Northumberland Street the contemporary style of the new Primark building, with its curtain walling and an aluminium extruded veil all added up to some truly 21st century photos.  

Another interesting job was a new health centre in Prudhoe, which is a gem of a village set in the Tyne Valley.  Natural stone cladding and the clever use of glass come together in a light and airy building, and presented some great photo opportunities.





As well as individual buildings I’m also regularly asked to photograph the exterior and interior of shopping malls, for example recent commissions to photograph the launch of a new B&Q store in Middlesbrough, and the interior of the popular TK Maxx store in Middlesbrough’s Captain Cook Square.

In commercial property photography around the north east, particularly for speculative developments, the client wants to portray the building as a blank canvas so it’s logical to leave the building empty, but for shopping malls and stores the more potential footfall we can show by including people in shot, the better for the client.



It can be tricky if the client wants pictures without any people, and often involves a lot of waiting around for just the right moment.


But my clients trust me to spend as long as it takes to get the right result, and if they are happy, I’m happy.  



______________________________________________


Direct Website Link to Dave Charnley Photography




No comments:

Post a Comment