22 Oct 2014

Stockton Freelance Photographer | Fire Engine and Vintage Vehicle Show in Eaglescliffe

In my 30 years as a professional press and commercial photographer working across the North East, Scotland and Teesside I’m used to taking photos under tricky circumstances, so I wasn’t fazed by this job which seen me 106 feet up in the air on an arial platform so I could get a bird’s eye view of the Fire Engine and Vintage Vehicle Show held at Preston Park Museum and Grounds in Eaglescliffe.



Thousands of people turned up to this annual event organised by Stockton Borough Council, where visitors could see fire fighting vehicles from bygone days to modern streamlined appliances, plus bikes, commercial and passenger vehicles, agricultural and military exhibits from the 1930s to the present day.


For family fun and great pictures, the main arena’s programme of events and activities couldn’t be beaten, particularly when monster trucks “Big Pete” and “Grim Reaper” rumbled into the ring to crush a line-up of old vehicles, and I got some high-impact shots from high in the sky.



From up there I could also use my fish eye lens to photograph the long line up of historic and modern day fire appliances, which from high in the sky stretched into the distance like a red ribbon.



Coming back down to earth for the display given by the bike riders from the Bolddog Lings motorcycle stunt team, as seen on Britain’s Got Talent, was a good move – their thrills and spills had spectators on their feet in amazement and I was able to get some great close up pictures of the action. 
Lots of the exhibits were like stepping back in time and you could see the work that had gone into maintaining them. One particular charming couple dressed to kill in their lovingly restored vintage car seemed very pleased to have their photos taken with their beloved vehicle.


With the large amount of shiny chrome and polished paintwork about, I was able to use reflections to bounce off photos of people admiring the hundreds of vintage motorbikes and cars and taking the obligatory selfies against them. 



It was a fun-filled day and although we didn’t get any brilliant sunshine, I was actually very happy with the soft light that the cloudy conditions presented. Too much sharp sunlight can often be a nuisance – check out the number of photos on your phone or camera where people are squinting against the sunlight – so a more milky light can often produce a better effect.  


It was hot all the same though, and I was mighty glad to get out of the harness and get my feet back on the ground!


Preston Park’s £7m restoration was looking beautiful, and I was pleased to have been able to document such a great day out for all the family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment